The General Manager/Managing Director is responsible for all marketing and sales activities and for the full administration of our subsidiary in Japan. He is fully responsible for the budget and the results of the company. He protects the interests of the company and ensures a smooth service of the needs of consumers and retailers. He liaises and co-ordinates all activities with the head office in Switzerland.
The General Manager/Managing Director will carry overall responsibility for the performance of the national company; he will secure the maintenance and expansion of the existing market position and the high profitability of the entire business operation in Japan. In this context, he will be responsible for the local market implementation of decisions made by the parent company, including performance control and reporting to the headquarters. His area of responsibility will cover a broad spectrum including the following key areas:
Give clear direction, lead, motivate and support the team
Ensure good cross-functional communication between all departments as well as with the head office in Switzerland
Management and Administration
Prepare and manage the Retail Master Plan as well as the annual budgets including all associated cost lines
Review and submit monthly order forecast and oversee all ordering activities
Manage inventory, strategic stock ordering and planning to fulfil sales commitments while minimising company’s exposure in overstocking and potential obsolescence
Review and submit monthly status report, weekly and monthly financial reports as well as other required reports to the direct manager in Switzerland
Co-ordinate After Sales Service, internally or with external provider
Sales and Marketing
Visit and support authorized retailers as well as potential new retailers
Co-ordinate order and delivery processes in co-operation with the Sales Managers
Train and motivate sales personnel of authorized retailers
Monitor inventory and sales of our authorized retailers
Supervise the smooth communication to consumers (campaigns, mailing lists, send out of flyers and booklets)
Control the country’s sales incentive programs
Control and ensure that the international strategy is properly implemented in the markets
Provide marketing and production teams in Switzerland with feedback
- Performance – The GM/MD should be capable of increasing revenues and achieving a sales performance above budgetary projections. He should have a technical understanding as well as be able to develop business proposals and to initiate and successfully conclude complex business transactions.
- Customer Focus – The GM/MD must imperatively be committed to a strong customer-oriented approach with a good track record in identifying changes in customers’ needs and converting them into profitable business initiatives.
- Team leadership –The GM/MD will show a willingness to lead from the front, and take risks or initiatives that encourage others to stretch themselves within the corporate framework. The GM/MD should be able to show recognition for concrete achievements, support and encouragement in the event of failures or mistakes.
- Market Knowledge – The GM/MD must understand the interrelationships between the company, suppliers and competitors; and be able to capitalize on this knowledge to seize opportunities which would aggressively extend our market share with new and existing customers. The GM/MD must be able to understand the implications of market trends and to draw conclusions for appropriate actions.
- Collaboration – The GM/MD will be able to build close partnering relationships with customers, suppliers, partners and colleagues across different regions and business segments (matrix organization); and ensure that the mutual interests of all parties are met. The GM/MD will show an ability to recognize sources of conflict, such as cultural, functional or geographic issues and act to resolve them.
- Language skills – The GM/MD speaks and writes fluently in the local language and English.
- Education – The GM/MD will have a business administration degree and/or specialized training in sales or marketing.
In addition to the skills outlined above:
The GM/MD must be assertive, dynamic, mature and tenacious
The GM/MD has an analytical mindset and logical thinking
The GM/MD will have excellent interpersonal skills
The GM/MD must work using his own initiative
The GM/MD must have very good communication and presentation skills as well as standing towards departments and employees